Monday 13 July 2015

Summer has arrived!

Our summer weather has finally arrived. It has actually been hot a few days recently although my definition of hot has changed since we've moved up here. Here, hot is temperatures hitting the high 20sC (what would be around 80F). Back in Virginia at this time of year, an 80F day would be a cool day. Here we hit that temperature and we scurry off to the beach which is what we did today.

A friend of S's wanted us to come to the beach with her, her mom, and her sister so we packed up our stuff and headed out for our first real beach day. When we got there it was kind of cool still and of course the water still feels cold but the girls had a great time playing. They built sand castles, played on the edge of the water, and eventually built a pen to "save jellyfish'' which meant scooping them up out of the water and dumping them in the hole in the sand. They then spent time running back and forth to get water to pour over the jellyfish. The girls had fun (and no one was stung) although I don't know how much fun the jellyfish had. I thought I had a picture of the jellies but I don't. You can see what they look like here.

While S and I were off at the beach, J was having fun at his first day of sailing school. C picked him up at the end of the day and said he came off the dock with a big smile on his face. This morning he was nervous about it because it is something new for him and he didn't know anyone. But J makes friends easily and by the end of the first day he had already made a few friends. He also was pushed off the dock and into the water (joy!). It's a good thing they have the kids take a towel and a change of clothes. J learned how to tie a few knots and got to go out on a small sailboat with three other kids and cruise around the harbour. All the instructors were out there with them in Zodiac boats so they could keep an eye on the kids. J said he had a great time and is looking forward to going back tomorrow.

I know it's been a bit of time since my last blog. With summer here now we're often busy doing things or at least out and about in the neighbourhood and sitting down at my computer to blog isn't the top thing on my list of things to do. I'll try to post regularly but there may be gaps between posts and they may be short like this. I do have the new MKAL starting this weekend so I will have updates about that as I finish clues. Summer is short here and I want to take advantage of as much of the beautiful weather as I can. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment