Saturday 6 June 2015

Busy Days

The past few days have been rather busy. Friday started out with our neighbour lettings us know that her daughter and S were being bothered by a boy on the bus. Apparently he's been forcing them to kiss him. It seems like he's been fixated on the other girl more than S but it was still a concern. So Friday morning was rather crazy, letting teachers and the bus driver know. The staff at the elementary school is awesome and they took the whole situation seriously. They have tracked down the boy and will be meeting with his mother on Monday.

In addition to that, I was busy baking cookies Friday morning for the school's spring carnival. I baked two batches of snickerdoodles and then delivered them to the school. I then had to run out and get a present for a birthday party. The whole time I was out I was expecting an email from a store saying our trampoline was ready for pick-up but no luck. The store had already canceled my order once and now they have pretty much ignored my second order. At least they haven't charged my credit card yet.

Friday night I took the kids to the spring carnival and they had a blast. J was busy running around with his friends for most of it. S saw a bunch of her friends but she stayed with me for most of it. There were so many people there that I think she felt a little nervous even though it was inside her school. As I was walking around, I was struck by how many people I have come to know in our time here. It's really nice to see so many friendly faces in one place!

Both Thursday and Friday night, after the kids were in bed, C and I went out back and started a fire in the fire pit. It was nice to just sit outside and watch the fire and talk. Last night we did bring a bottle of wine out with us. I needed a little something after all the craziness of the carnival. Thursday night was a little wacky since the June bugs were out. Those things are huge! And stupid. They kept flying into the house and would bounce off and then fly into it again. This is what they look like:


Today I got a chance to sleep in until 9:00. I probably would have slept longer but J's friend called to see if he could play and it woke me up. Even though it was raining we headed over to the horse track where they are hosing a RibFest weekend. There are bunch of rib/BBQ companies that have set up mobile restaurants. Since it has been forever since I've had good ribs, we donned our rain gear and headed over. There were only a few people there, probably because of the rain.

We tried some Alabama ribs first. They were good but C and I both agreed that they had too much sauce on them. I just had 1/3 of a rack so I was still hungry when I was finished with the first round. I got some ribs from a Texas BBQ place and they were a lot better. The amount of sauce was perfect and the ribs were meaty and delicious. I forgot to take a picture before hand but here's the results of my feast:


After lunch C and J headed to an event for C's work and S and I came home because one of S's best buddies was having a birthday party. It was a crazy, fun party. There was a small bounce house, a trampoline, and a ball pit (with 2000 balls) in the basement. Upstairs in the living room the kids decorated cupcakes and made their own ice cream sundaes. They didn't have a carpet in the living room which is good because there were sprinkles and icing all over the floor. By cake time, the kids were so full they didn't even bother to cut the cake. It was a really cute cake and I give my neighbour props for her decorating skills!



By the time we got back from the party and C and J got home from their event, everyone was pretty tired. I sure didn't feel like cooking (and didn't really have anything to make) so we headed out to the restaurant up the road for supper. The kids were so tired that they really didn't give us a hard time when we said it was time for bed tonight. Now I plan to go sit on the sofa and work on my knitting. With sitting outside by the fire I haven't gotten much knitting done lately, but the quiet time with C has been nice. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment