Monday 22 June 2015

Oops...

I realized last night that it had been a few days since I posted anything on my blog. I was going to work on it last night but we were all curled up watching Big Hero 6 and I really didn't feel like sitting at the computer. So here I am now, writing. S has a friend over, J has disappeared into his room, and I have a few minutes of quiet.

What have I been up to the past few days? Hmm, let's see. Thursday I wasn't feeling well so I spent the day resting and being fairly lazy. I did make a batch of homemade granola bars. You can find the recipe here. I mixed dark chocolate chips and dried cranberries into mine. I did find that they got better after they had set up for a day or two. C suggested that I add almonds to them next time. We're going camping soon so I will make another batch and try his suggestion. Oh, and I had a check-up with the dentist for my night splint. I'm slowly getting used to sleeping with it in at night. It's going to take time though.

One interesting thing from Thursday was that S discovered there were some new friends on our back deck...


If you can't tell what those are, they are a whole lot of baby spiders. They had hatched and were slowly moving around. By Friday afternoon they were gone, hopefully off to eat all the flippin mosquitoes around these days. Go forth and feast upon the mozzies, spiders!


Friday I was feeling better which was good because S had a birthday party to go to that evening. She had a blast at the party. There were only 6 kids total so it was small but all the kids said they had the best time ever at a party. The girl having the party loves Avengers and Transformers, which is awesome! S picked out some Avenger action figures for her and the birthday girl had a Transformer's cake.

Saturday two of my neighbours had a yard sale. We really only had a few things to contribute. We cleaned out a lot of stuff when we moved a few years ago. I had some bags of clothes but decided not to mess with them. We did manage to sell S's old dresser (that we had since J was a baby) and a few video games. S's old bed didn't sell but that's okay - I can haul that over to the donation place easily. The dresser was too big to fit in my car so I'm glad it sold.

After the yard sale was done we headed over to try out a new food truck in town. It's called Hush Puppy Po'Boys. They specialize in southern comfort food.


Their special this weekend was the Gator Po'Boy. Now I've had gator before and while some people say it tastes like chicken, it doesn't. It has kind of a fishy taste to it. J hadn't tried gator before so both he and I got the gator. It was pretty good, although the pieces were a bit big for a sandwich. C got a roast beef and gravy sandwich and S ordered fries since they didn't have much she liked. She ended up not eating the fries because they had a Cajun spice on them that she didn't like.

Afterwards we headed downtown to get some ice cream. There was a solstice festival going on so we looked around. I bought some buttons for my gloves and a cute pair of earrings. The kids got to touch a lobster, look through a special telescope to see the sun and sunspots, and then they dressed up like lobsters. At the ice cream place they were giving everyone a free upgraded cone (dipped in chocolate instead of just plain) so we all enjoyed a cone. S had trouble eating hers since she has a wiggly top tooth but everyone still had fun.

Sunday was Father's Day. C decided he wanted to go for a hike so we headed off to a section of the National Park that has hiking trails. Of course both of us forgot to pick up the bug spray so when we got there we opted to go hiking on the beach instead of through the woods (damn mosquitoes!). It has been many months since I hiked on sand so I am feeling it in my calves today but we all had a great time. Here are a few beach pictures:




As you can see, it wasn't very crowded. J had fun practicing skipping stones. He was getting pretty good at it! After our hike we headed to a cool little fish and chips place nearby. C and I both had the fish and chips, J had chicken wings, and S had her usual chicken nuggets. We also ordered a plate of mussels, which came out of the bay across the road from where we were eating. Talk about tasty and fresh!

C wanted to get ice cream again but by the time we got back to town it had started to rain. Instead I ran up to the store and picked up a cake topped with lots of fresh berries (and yes, I picked up the whipped cream to go with it!). This is what's left of it. Do you think we enjoyed it?



Today has been rainy so I've spent the day at home doing laundry. Exciting, eh? I've also been working on some secret knitting projects. I won't be able to post them for a while because they are a surprise for someone who might be reading this and I don't want to ruin the surprise!

Shellac update - well, I've almost reached two weeks with my shellac nails. 



There are definite cracks in the polish but not a single bit has chipped off. You can tell my nails have grown a lot by the gap at between the polish and my cuticle, but overall I'm happy with how it's held up given how much I have used my hands in the past two weeks. I go in Wednesday to have them redone. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment