Monday 1 June 2015

Weekend Recap!

I'm back from our weekend of off-island hockey. It started Thursday with a ferry trip over to Nova Scotia. There are two ferries that shuttle people back and forth - a big one and a smaller one. Normally the big one is running but this time it was the smaller one. It had a nice observation deck on top where the kids played and ran around. It was windy but I do better with the wind blowing on my face. We went down below for a snack and I could feel the ferry rocking which messed with my vertigo. Going back out on deck helped a lot.

Once we arrived in NS we found our hotel and had some supper then it was off to bed for the kids. Friday the tournament began and J had two games. Both teams were really tough so J's team was 0-2 at the end of the day. We had a pizza party that night and the kids went swimming, which honestly, was all that mattered to them at that point. Saturday we had two more games and those games were more evenly matched but still no wins, which summed up the whole spring season. There were some tears at the end of the last game but once they got back to the hotel and into the pool they forgot about being sad and had fun.

Saturday night the team stayed up late and watched part of the Ducks-Blackhawks game. C was down with J and he said the kids burst into song when the American anthem came on. The Canadian kids knew about half the song which honestly is impressive. That is not an easy song to sing. They had a great time cheering and goofing around and the hotel staff was very patient with all the rowdy 10 year olds running around.

Sunday we came home, again on the smaller ferry. The weather wasn't the best - it was rainy, chilly, and very windy. I stayed inside as long as I could but it started getting really warm with everyone inside. Between the heat and my vertigo acting up, I had to go out on the deck for a while. I found a sheltered spot on the leeward side of the boat and hung out there. I was joined at various times by other people feeling a bit queasy from the rocking of the boat. One mom and daughter I know have problems with motion sickness, so they braved the chilly weather to keep from throwing up. It was nice to have company outside. :-)

Today I had to head back to the dentist. I got a call on Friday that somehow the impression they made of my bottom teeth was broken in transit to the lab and they needed to make a new one. At least this time I figured out how to keep from gagging on that nasty plaster stuff (although just thinking about that stuff makes me start to gag). It only took about 10 minutes to get it all done, so that was nice. I'm hoping this time they won't break it!

I also went out today and bought a scale for weighing my yarn. After the Game of Thrones cowl debacle, I wanted to know if they gave me the right amount of yarn and my gauge was off or if I was shorted yarn. I was suppose to have 300 g of yarn for this project. My finished project, which I ran out of yarn making, is only 290 g which tells me I was shorted yarn while I know others received over 300 g of yarn (they posted their weights on Ravelry). I suppose it could have happened to anyone but I will think twice before I decide to participate in other MKALs using that company's yarn.

This afternoon was a good one. The weather was cool (hello, what's up with that? It's June 1!) but the rain held off so the kids were able to play outside. We yard-hopped from one place to another until it was time for supper. The newest family on the block has decided that they are (probably) going to buy the house they are renting, which is awesome. They have a daughter S's age as well as two younger boys. They fit into the neighbourhood nicely so it will be awesome having them stay around for the summer. It's shaping up to be a fun one!

No comments:

Post a Comment