Sunday 25 January 2015

Day 21 and I'm missing the mountains

It is the perfect time to write. S is occupied watching Veggie Tales on TV, while the hubby has taken J to his hockey practice. Things are quiet and I should be able to focus but I just can't today. I'm not sure why because yesterday I was able to crank out 1k words but today nada. I tried and nothing was sounding right so I'm going to take that as a sign that today is not a writing day. Maybe it's because today I am feeling a little homesick. I'm definitely not missing the traffic and hectic lifestyle of the DC area. And as I think they are prepping for Snowmageddon down there I'm double glad I'm not there. But there are certainly things I do miss. 

This morning it was bright and sunny here after the crazy storm we had last night. It started out with a dusting of snow - not even enough to measure. Then it warmed up enough to turn to rain. And egads, rain it did. We have these drainage ditches in front of the house that are a few feet deep (I think). The snow has kind of blocked them up so with the deluge of water we had coming down last night the ditches filled up. There was water flowing out of the ditch and into the street and it was that way all down our street. Last spring we had drainage issues on the side of the house that resulted in the garage flooding a few times. The problem was fixed but last night we were worried the garage would start flooding again. Thankfully it didn't.

I was glad to see the sun this morning. And for some reason it made me miss the Shenandoah mountains. I couldn't help thinking that it would be a good morning to get in the car and just drive up to the mountains and stop at our favorite burger place, Burgers 'N Things, then cruise along Skyline Drive looking for deer and bears. We'd bundle up and find a place to hike. With rain like we had last night, the waterfalls in the park would be spectacular. At this time of year our favorite ice cream place, Effee's would be closed, so we would just drive straight home after the hike rather than stopping for ice cream.

There are definitely things I love about living here on our little island in Canada. There is a beach within walking distance of our house, and there are other beaches that are no more than 30 minutes away from us. Back in VA it was a 4 hour drive on a good day to the closest beach. I love the slow pace of the island. I love all the farms and being able to show my kids where their food really comes from. I love that the neighbourhood we live in is filled with kids and their wonderful parents. I love that there are so many professional hockey players (former and current) around us that can share their knowledge with my son. But on a day like today, I really miss the mountains.


Okay, I made it to day 21. I feel this has become a habit. I look forward to sitting down at my computer each day and seeing what ends up on my virtual paper. Some days I know what I'm going to write ahead of time but other days, like today, I just sit down and start typing and see what happens. Either way, I've found it's a good experience to just sit and put my thoughts down. I encourage everyone out there to do the same. You don't have to share it with people, but do take the time to write. You'll be surprised by what you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment