Thursday 29 January 2015

Hockey Tournament time!

Today I have been getting ready to travel to take J to an off-island hockey tournament (I hate packing!) . It should be an exciting time since the latest weather report says there's a snow storm coming Friday night into Saturday. Guess when most of our games are? Saturday! At least the hotel we're staying at has a pool and free breakfast. I'm not looking forward to spending a weekend at a hotel in a snow storm with two kids. I hadn't planned on taking their snow gear but I may have to.

Last night, when I was looking at the weather report it reminded me of a time long ago in my life BK (before kids). My in-laws lived down in Birmingham, AL. We lived in the DC area. We decided it would be fun (and cheaper) to drive down there to visit them rather than fly. This was a good plan in theory. Of course we got hit by an ice storm on the way down. Visibility was zero, the wipers kept icing up, and people were getting stuck everywhere. We someone how made it down there by it was a terrible drive.

After a week or so there it was time to drive back home. Guess what? We got hit by another ice storm on the way back up. We ended up stopping because it was just too dangerous to continue. We managed to find a hotel with a room but then they lost power. The only place to eat was a McDonalds next door which somehow had power. We went through the drive-thru and I got chicken nuggets. We ate when we got back to the room. I was disgusted to find that my chicken nuggets were only half cooked. While I didn't get sick (thankfully) I felt like I was going to be sick all night. I was very happy when we were able to get back on the road the next day and get home safely.

So,I am a little hesitant at being in a hotel in a snow storm. I'm sure it will be fine by I remember that horrible trip with the two ice storms. I should clarify that by saying the time with my in-laws wasn't terrible, just the travel part.

I am trying something new with the blog this weekend, since it will be tough for me to get time to post things this weekend. I have scheduled Friday and Saturday's posts to be published at a certain time. I hope it works! I will be back home on Sunday and back to writing then.

Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment