Monday 5 January 2015

The first post

A long time ago, in the time before kids, I used to spend my days writing. I wasn't writing Pulitzer Prize winning stories but rather writing stories for a video game. It was a lot of fun, seeing what I had written going into a game seen by thousands of people. When my son was born, I left my office job for the job of being a stay-at-home mom. About the time I thought I might be ready to go back to writing, my daughter came along. I’ve always wanted to get back into writing but with two young kids it was tough. Now both kids are in school all day and I have no excuse not to start writing again. So, I made a resolution this year that I would do my best to write at least a little every day. Yes, it is now January 5 and this is my first entry, but we were traveling a lot and this is my first chance to have a little peace and quiet.

I am hoping that this blog will help me get back into writing more. I don’t have a specific theme for this blog because I've tried that in the past and it just didn't last very long. I think if I just sit down and write about whatever it will be better than not writing at all. So now, without further ado, my first entry for 2015 is my recap of Galavant.

Galavant

If you didn't watch Galavant last night, you missed out. I found the show funny, ribald, and goofy – perfect for a Sunday night when everyone has to get up and face the work week the next day. It was one of those shows where you can just sit back and enjoy and not think too much. I just hope that parents out there read about the show ahead of time and didn't think it was for young kids because they would have been in for a surprise.

The show opens with a song about our hero, Galavant and his lady love, Madalena. They sing about the size of both his and her body parts and about how much they have sex. Then Madalena gets kidnapped by King Richard and is forced to marry her. Gal (as he is called) rushes off to save Madalena before she gets married. I had to giggle at King Richard saying over and over “We’re doing it!” See, ribald humor already! Gal rushes in, fighting off soldiers to get to the wedding ceremony just in time to save his lady love. He states how much he loves Madalena and that while the king can offer her great fame and fortune, she will choose Gal because she chooses great love. But she chooses fame and fortune, which totally destroys poor Gal.

A year later we see Gal, face down in bed, hungover or possibly still drunk (and in need of a bath). His squire Sid brings in a princess with a very long name (Isabella), who asks Gal to help her reclaim her lost country of Valencia. She offers him a huge gem in exchange but he refuses. She breaks into song, singing about how Gal used to be an in-shape hero but is now an out-of-shape loser. He explains he basically gave up after Madalena broke his heart.

We go on to find out that King Richard has invaded Isabella’s country, taken his parents prisoner, and is forcing Isabella to trick Gal into coming to her country of Valencia to rescue Madalena. Galavant only agrees to help Isabella when she tells him a lie – that Richard screams at Madalena every night, leaving her sobbing,”I’m so sorry, Gals” over and over. Thus begins Galavant’s journey to rescue who he thinks is his true love. The first half of the show ends with the jester jumping into bed with Madalena. Naughty girl!

The second half of the show opens with Galavant dreaming about Madalena and her and Richard mocking him for no longer being a hero. He wakes up, relieved that he is still wearing his pants and begins his quest to save his lady love. Sid and Isabella question how loyal Madalena actually is, but Galavant ignores them. I had to laugh when Gal gasps at the end of his song, saying how out of shape he is.
I loved the part where the king is being fed by his chef and decides that he needs to man up a bit to impress his wife. Best line of the night I think was, “Oh poop, I got gravy on my tummy flowers!” His man-at-arms then goes on to instruct him in how to “man up”.

Meanwhile, Sid enters Galavant in a joust where they run into Sir Jean Hamm played by John Stamos. He totally nailed the role. His telling of the your momma jokes had me laughing, and then watching Sid and Galavant trying to get his armour on kept me laughing. Isabella manages to get Galavant advanced to the final to give him time to get his act together. She then goes on to train Galavant and gets him into shape for the joust. I love the fact that Isabella is a badass but is not above using her attractiveness to get Jean Hamm drunk before the joust.

The joust is probably the funniest joust I've ever seen. Jean Hamm is drunk and Galavant is exhausted from his training. Their horses move as slow as possible and they both fall off when they tap each other. Galavant manages to get to his feet and is declared the winner. Their prize? Isabella’s jewel and a rooster. Hey, at least he won, right? Right about the time Isabella is about to confess that she’s working for Richard, Sid interrupts so, Galavant still doesn't know what’s in store for him.

Madalena and Richard share a meal then start singing quite the “love song” about how maybe the other isn’t the worst thing ever. Galavant and Isabella join in, realizing they might just like each other. Richard then tries to get Madalena to admit that she might just like him but she tells him he is unlovable and walks away. She really is quite the bitch, isn't she?

I wonder what is in store for Galavant. Madalena obviously only loves one person – herself – and she is not going to make Galavant happy, no matter what he thinks. Galavant might end up with Isabella once he realizes how awful Madalena is, but what will he do when he realizes that Isabella is working for Richard? Yes, she is being forced to help Richard because he has her parents, but will Galavant be able to forgive her for what she’s done? I am looking forward to the future shows where Ricky Gervais and Weird Al are going to guest star.


Okay, that’s it for today. Like I said, there will be no theme for this blog, so who knows what I will write about tomorrow. Come back and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment