Sunday 12 April 2015

Birthday Burger Lunch

Today we went out for lunch for my birthday and of course I had to have another Burger Love burger. Today's burger is called the Moooo Shiner and you can find it at The Old Triangle. It was a fun lunch because the Sunday musicians were there performing live Irish music. The place was jumping today between the music and Burger Love - it made for a good lunch!

The Moooo Shiner was a good burger, but it isn't my top choice. I'm still waiting for a burger to knock the Southern Jack out of first place for me but so far nothing has. What was good about today's burger? Lots! The burger itself was okay - it wasn't as juicy as some of the other burgers I've had. I don't know if it was a little overcooked or the type of beef they used but it was just a little dry.

The name of the burger comes from the fact that there's a lot of moonshine involved in it. The BBQ sauce on the burger is infused with moonshine. The BBQ sauce had a good flavour to it and it was the only type of sauce (no ketchup, mustard, mayo, etc) so it wasn't competing with other sauces. There was more moonshine in the sugar-shine bacon and the shine-pickled onions, both of which were tasty (and I don't like onions).

There was applewood smoked cheddar on the burger although the flavour seemed to get lost under the BBQ sauce. There was also chipotle dusted kettle chips (yup, potato chips) on the burger which added a nice crunch but they didn't add any heat. The bun itself was a brioche bun and I was worried that it wouldn't be able to support the burger since the bottom was cut kind of thin. Since there was only BBQ sauce on the burger and it was on the top bun, the bottom held up well.

And because it seems like Burger Love burgers have to have something crazy on top, this burger had the Flaming Smoked Cheddar Deep Fried Mac n'Cheese Ball. It was larger than a golf ball and yes, it was deep fried. When they bring it to your table, they bring along a spray bottle of...wait for it...moonshine...which they spray on your mac n'cheese ball. They then light it on fire. I tried to get a picture of it on fire but since it was daytime and the server's spray bottle was being difficult I couldn't get a good picture. This was taken after the flames died out:


All in all, it was a good solid middle-of-the-pack burger. I felt like it was one of the bigger burgers I've had although the patty was only 6 oz. I was stuffed by the time I finished it but that could have something to do with the nachos we ate before the burgers arrived. :-)

The weather here was beautiful today so we took a much needed walk this evening before having a very light supper. C and the kids picked out a birthday cake for me and we had it tonight since Monday nights are busy with soccer. It was a tasty chocolate cake topped with whipped cream icing and cherries. I had a little piece because I was still full from our lunch.

Today is GoT night, which makes me happy! It is also Outlander and Once Upon a Time night but I won't watch those shows until tomorrow morning since C isn't really a fan of either one. I'm excited to see what happens with GoT although I hope there isn't any head squishing in the season opener. I expect there will be something gruesome because it is GoT after all. I will be working on my Outlander shawl during the show because it requires less attention to detail than my Solar Flare shawl. Yeah, I have to think about stuff like that - it's the life of a knitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment