Sunday 19 April 2015

Burger Number 7

Despite the fact that I am sick I wanted to go out for supper tonight. And because it is Burger Love month, we chose a restaurant that has a burger. Tonight's offering is the Brew Buddy at the Gahan House.

This burger was a lot better than the last one I had. The Brew Buddy has a single 8 oz patty that was just the right thickness and was nice and juicy. The burger was topped with smoked Gouda which added a nice flavour to the burger. The Gahan House makes their own beer and they used one of their beers, Iron Bridge Ale, to make a jalapeno bacon jam. Delicious! I didn't notice any heat from the jalapenos in the jam but that may have been because of the mustard pickled slaw on it. Now, I don't like mustard but this slaw was good! And the slaw went very nicely with the Maple Stout BBQ pulled pork that was on the burger. Yup, pulled pork on a burger.

Now, with all that messiness of bacon jam, slaw, and pulled pork you need a hearty bun to support everything. The bun of a buttered toasted brioche bun and it stood up to all the goodness on the burger, probably because most of the stuff was on top of the burger rather than right on the bun. I tried to be healthy and paired my burger with a salad tonight and I'm glad I did. The meal was the right size - I'm full but not left feeling stuffed. I'm glad that places offer a salad side in addition to fries.

Overall, this is an excellent burger that I would definitely eat again. I'm not surprised because all the other food I've had from Gahan House has been really good. Their pulled pork sandwich from Porktober (oh yeah, that's a real thing that I am so looking forward to again) was excellent and I think they have a hit with the Brew Buddy. I'd say the Brew Buddy is #2 on my list of burgers - no one has passed the Southern Jack yet. I will definitely try the Southern Jack again before Burger Love ends to make sure that it really is my favourite.

Here's tonight's burger:


I'm sure I'll have at least one more burger this week, probably two. Burger Love will be winding down soon and there are still a few I want to try. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get out and try them!




No comments:

Post a Comment