Wednesday 11 February 2015

Bankrupting the Tooth Fairymo

Today featured not one, but two trips to the dentist. I called yesterday to get appointments for the kids to see the dentist because they were way overdue. To my surprise, they were able to get J in at 8:00 this morning and S at 1:00. Both kids were nervous because it had been too long since they went to the dentist. S almost broke down in tears when the hygienist called her name, but the hygienist could tell S was nervous and did a great job putting her at ease.

In fact, both hygienists we saw today were fantastic. They were patient with the kids and took the time to explain what was happening so they would be at ease. The dentist said both of them are doing well with their oral hygiene - no cavities and very little plaque. At the end they each got to pick out a toy from a treasure chest-type box. J chose a hockey card while S chose a seal that grows when you put it in water.

The dentist himself was great. He was friendly and took the time to chat with them. It turns out that the dentist has a daughter who is J's age. They are both in the same school and in fact were in the same Grade 3 class last year. It truly is a small world here on the island. And even though the dentist is great, I'm still grumpy with him. Why you ask? Because what he told me is going to bankrupt the Tooth Fairy. He told me that J has 2 wiggly teeth, with at least 2 more on the way within the next three months. His first molars are all getting wiggly and probably within the next 6 months the second molars will start loosening up. And S already has one very wiggly tooth on top. But he noticed that her other top tooth is starting to loosen up and that two teeth on the bottom would be joining the party soon. My kids are going to be toothless wonders soon. Time to start serving them oatmeal and soup.

So, that's at least 7 loose teeth coming in the next few months. And the Tooth Fairy set a very bad precedence by giving the kids $5 a tooth, so that's at least $35 she's going to have to pay out in the upcoming months, if not more depending on how many teeth J ends up losing. See, she's going to go bankrupt!

The kids will be happy though. Both of them are trying to save up money to buy new iPods. Yes, even S wants an iPod (she doesn't have one yet). They both saved most of their Christmas money and I'm pretty sure there is money for them in their Valentine cards from their Nana. Add to that the potential Tooth Fairy money they will get and I think they will have a good deal of money soon. We told the kids that if they could save up half the money we would put up the other half. I haven't looked at the price yet but I bet he's going to come close.

I'm just glad I can check off going to the dentist for the kids. I was a good mommy and made myself an appointment when I made the kids. Mine is in a few weeks - joy! My appointment will be much longer than the kids since they do a comprehensive exam of adults that apparently lasts 2 hours. At least they have TVs in the exam rooms to watch. Still, I'm not looking forward to going to the dentist but I will follow my kids' example and go with a smile. At least I will try. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment