Monday 9 February 2015

Kilynn, part 9

Today has been a good writing day. I scrapped just about everything I had written since I posted part 8. What I had written just didn't feel right. Every time I read it I felt cranky, which made me realize it just wasn't what I wanted to say. Yesterday I came up with a new idea but it wasn't until today that I was able to get time to write it down. I've read through it a few times now and made some minor changes, All in all, I'm happy with the way it turned out. So, here you go. Sorry it's long, but I don't feel like there's a good place to cut it into two posts. Enjoy!

Kilynn climbed out of bed shortly before the sun came up. After her father had left the room, she had crawled into bed still fully clothed. She had slept fitfully, dreams of the potentially horrible things being done to her mother flitting through her head. She eventually gave up trying to sleep and lay there thinking of her mother and wondering how in the world she would reach an island halfway around the world. She hoped her grandmother had an idea.

With her head aching from lack of sleep, Kilynn got up and tiptoed downstairs. She wanted to get out of the house before anyone else was awake so she could slip back out into the woods and search for her grandmother. When she entered the kitchen she was surprised to see Herry standing at the stove, attempting to cook eggs and bacon. She stood in the doorway for a few minutes, watching him rush about, cursing under his breath. When he threw the spatula into the sink with a loud curse, she couldn't keep her laughter in any longer.

Surprised, Herry spun quickly about to glare at his sister. Then he glanced around the room and broke into a sheepish grin. “Give me a hand here, sis?” he asked. Kilynn laughed as she walked over to the stove and took over cooking breakfast. Laughing with her brother seemed to soothe the ache in her head.

“Mother always did say you were hopeless in the kitchen, Herry,” Kilynn told him as she flipped the bacon out of the pan and onto the plate. “You were always too busy reading her cookbook to actually learn how to cook.”
“I know,” Herry replied. “I just thought I could figure it out this morning. With Mother gone someone had to feed this hungry crew.” Kilynn heard the catch in his voice when he mentioned their mother. He was trying very hard to be brave. Kilynn gave him a smile and turned back to the stove, hiding the tears that had formed in her eyes. She felt a hand touch her shoulder and looked up into her brother’s bright green eyes. “It’s going to be okay, Kilynn. We’ll get her back. I believe Grandmother.”

“So do I, Herry. It’s just hard to believe that she’s actually gone.” Kilynn planned to say more but her older brothers clomped into the room. Kilynn put the eggs and bacon on the table while Herry, who had managed to correctly brew the coffee, placed the carafe on the table. Her brothers dug into the food, ignoring their youngest sibling. Kilynn could feel the hostility coming off them and she couldn’t blame them. No matter what anyone said, Kilynn knew she was reason their mother had been outside at the wrong time. Kilynn grabbed a bit of food and then went to sit quietly in the corner, away from her brothers.

The room was silent except for the sound of everyone eating until Robbert walked into the room. Everyone stopped eating to look up at him except for Kilynn. She looked down at the floor, refusing to look at her father and see the hurt in his eyes. Robbert picked up a plate and filled it from the various dishes on the table then sat down and began to eat, listing out the things that needed to be done in the store today. His sons resumed eating but Kilynn had suddenly lost her appetite. She slid down from the stool in the corner and attempted to slip out of the room when her father’s voice stopped her.

“Kilynn, please stay here. I’d like to speak with you.” Kilynn gulped nervously while her brothers quickly stuffed the rest of their food into their mouths. One by one they dropped their plates in the sink and then headed downstairs to the family store. Ryl was the last to leave the room, stopping to give Kilynn a look of sympathy before he left the kitchen and closed the door behind him.

When the door was closed, Robbert patted the chair next to him. “Come sit, little cat.” She walked over and cautiously sat down next to her father. She did smile a tiny smile at his nickname for her. He had called her his little cat since she was young because she would hiss and spit like a little cat when angered. It felt good to have him call her that but she was still nervous about what he was going to say. She glanced at the door and wished Herry and Ryl had stayed. She often felt stronger when her brothers were close by and she knew she would need a great deal of strength for the conversation that was about to start.

Even though they had both apologized last night, Kilynn still expected her father to be angry. But instead of scolding her, Robbert said, “Your grandmother sent me a message this morning. She said she talked with you and your brothers in the woods last night. Is that correct?”

Kilynn looked up at her father and nodded. He sighed and took a bite of eggs. Kilynn, unsure of what to say, just waited for her father to speak again. “So now you know. Your mother always wanted to tell you, and all your brothers, about her family history but I asked her not to. I wanted you and your brothers to have as normal a life as possible. But my reluctance to acknowledge your mother’s ancestors has put us in this situation. I was wrong to blame you, little cat. It isn't your fault your mother was taken; the fault is mine.”

Kilynn stared at her father in surprise. This was not what she was expecting. She expected him to yell at her, or at least give her a good lecture for her stupidity of running away after their argument the day before but instead he was taking the blame on himself. Her father ignored her shocked expression and continued speaking.

“Yesterday you came to us, asking about attending the Academy like your older brothers had. Your mother and I had discussed this not long ago, when Ryl and Herry began thinking about going to the Academy. We should have told you then about your ancestors and The Hunt. If you had known the truth then you probably wouldn't have run away. Your brothers did follow you, by the way. They made sure you were safe in the woods then came back to wait at the town walls for your return. They had sent word to us that they would be there. When the second to last bell sounded, your mother left to go to the wall to retrieve you all. But for some reason, she didn't make it to the safety of the wall and was taken by The Hunt.

“Your mother wasn't happy with me for my decision yesterday. She has always wanted you to have and do whatever your brothers did, regardless of the fact that it may not be ‘proper’ for you. She saw nothing wrong with you going provided we talked with you first about The Hunt and the island before you went. But I didn't want to tell you. I wanted to keep you here, where I could keep you safe. If I let you go away to the Academy, there would be no way for me to ensure that you would be safe. I know it was hard for you to hear my decision yesterday. I’m sorry I made the wrong one but I did it for the best of reasons, truly.

Robbert took a sip of coffee then continued speaking. “Currently, you are the last female of your mother’s line. The island people are a matriarchal society, so you are the heir to the throne.  Technically, little cat, you are a princess.”

At that statement, that she was a princess, Kilynn couldn't help but giggle. She had slopped eggs on her pants, coffee on her shirt, her hands were rough and banged up, and she had forgotten to brush her hair that morning. She felt like the complete opposite of a princess. At her giggle, Robbert smiled. Kilynn stood up and attempted a curtsey but promptly tripped over her own feet and flopped back down into the chair. Robbert let out a chuckle and Kilynn smiled at him.

“Ah, little cat, you can always put a smile on my face.” He reached over and attempted to smooth her hair down. “But seriously, Kilynn, do you understand now why we had to say no to you? It wasn’t because we didn't think you could handle it as you so politely told us.” Kilynn had the decency to blush at that. She had not been very polite to her parents when she was told no. “On the contrary I think you would be an exceptional student at the Academy. We had to say no to protect you and others. If The Hunt discovered your ‘scent’ as it were, they would stop at nothing to track you down. You and those attending the Academy would be in grave danger.”

Kilynn sighed and nodded. “Yes, Father, I understand. But going to the Academy is moot at this point. I cannot even begin to think about going away to school when Mother is missing. I have things to do here.” Kilynn stopped suddenly, thinking it might not be a good idea to tell her father about their planning to rescue Vanyssa.

“Ah yes,” her father replied. “Your grandmother included an interesting tidbit in her message to me. Something about going to rescue your mother. Do you really think you can do this, Kilynn? So many people before you have tried to rescue loved ones and only ended up getting taken by The Hunt in the process. I don’t know if I can allow you to do this, little cat.”

Kilynn looked at her father. She wished her grandmother hadn't told her father about the rescue attempt. Kilynn herself wasn't sure she could do this, but she had to convince her father that she could.

“Yes, Father, I think I can do this. You said it yourself – I am my mother’s heir. If anyone has a chance at rescuing Mother, it is me. Grandmother said they are probably doing horrible things to Mother, and they will probably do the same to me if they catch me. But I can’t let that stop me. I cannot sit back, wishing and hoping that Mother will magically be returned. Grandmother believes that I am the one to save Mother and I believe her.” Kilynn hoped she sounded confident when she said that because she was truly feeling scared.

Her father leaned forward and rested his elbows on the table then buried his face in his hands. Kilynn sat patiently, waiting to see what he would say. She was planning on doing this with or without his blessing, but with would be better. She saw his shoulders shake for a bit but when he finally looked up his face was calm and composed even if his eyes were a bit red.

“I don’t know if I can do this, Kilynn. I've just lost your mother and now I face the possibility of losing you, and your brothers. Oh, I know that they won’t let you go without them so don’t even try to convince me otherwise. Your grandmother seems to believe you can do this. I have known her a very long time and she doesn't put her trust in people easily, even family. But she seems to trust you. So go, Kilynn. Go to your grandmother. She will be waiting for you, and your brothers, at the pond at midday. I just hope I am not sending you three to your deaths.”


Kilynn jumped up and hugged her father tightly. He returned the hug as he whispered, “I love you, my brave daughter.” Then he let her go and returned his face to his hands. Kilynn quietly left the room, shutting the door behind her.

No comments:

Post a Comment