Wednesday 25 February 2015

Unexpected Snow Day

Today was a first for us - the kids had an early dismissal from school. I went out for a bit this morning and when I got home I just happened to check the school's website. Lo and behold they had decided to let the kids out of school early because snow was in the forecast for the afternoon. The kids came home at noon instead of their usual 3:00. For a while this afternoon I questioned the school board's decision because it wasn't snowing. But by 2:30 it was snowing hard. I am glad they sent the kids home early because I wouldn't have wanted them on the bus in that heavy snow. It was near white-out conditions around the time they would have been on the bus.

Because the kids came home early I didn't have my usual quiet writing time. I usually try to write in the afternoons between lunch and the time the kids come home. I did get a few minutes to glance at the next part of the story and I'm still not sure how it's going to work out. I'll ponder it some more tonight and see if I can work it out for tomorrow.

As I said, I was out this morning. I went out looking for a specific size knitting needle. I can hear C's voice in my head asking me if I don't already have all the needles and the answer is no. I broke my no yarn buying resolution to buy some yarn for a cool Hobbit-themed scarf for C. I did buy the yarn for a specific reason, rather than just because it was pretty so it won't just sit around in my stash for a long time, waiting for a project.

Here on the island, there are really only a few places to buy knitting supplies. I went to the one that I thought would have the size I needed but they didn't. I was good and resisted buying any of the very pretty yarn they had in their store. That took a lot of willpower but I reminded myself I bought yarn online yesterday so that helped. 

Not finding what I needed did remind me that we live in what would definitely be a small town when compared to where I used to live. The entire population of the island is about the same as the number of students in the school system where I used to live. Living in a small town has its perks - we actually know people well, and we run into people we know when we're out. But there are times when it has its drawbacks - when I'm looking for a certain size needle and can't find it. Granted it is an unusual size (size 0 circular for knitters out there), but I am pretty sure I would be able to find it back in the DC area. And if I couldn't, I could order it online and it would arrive in a few days. Now if I order something, especially from the US, I have to worry about long shipping times and possible duties for shipping across the border. But all in all, I really do enjoy living in a small town rather than the rat race of DC.

At this point, I'll just make do with the needles I have. When the yarn arrives I'll give it a try with the needles I have and see how it looks. If I need to I will order the needles I need. Or possibly make a trip off-island and explore the yarn shops in the next two closest cities. And I will do my best to not buy more yarn. I've been good about knitting down my stash...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment