Monday 2 February 2015

Storm Chips!

If you live in the Canadian Maritime area, you know that someone has left the freezer door open and it's bloody cold out there. You also know that snow is coming. Tonight. So if you're reading this now it's probably too late. All the storm chips are gone. But hopefully you knew about the storm before now and have already picked up your storm chips.

For those readers down in the States, you may not have heard about storm chips. I actually had never heard about them before the last storm we were in town for - we were out of town for this past weekend's storm. I had to do research to find out what storm chips were. Apparently last year a news reporter was asked what was on her essentials list for a winter storm and her reply was only ripple chips and dip. Since then, #stormchips have become A Thing. 

When a winter storm is coming, people on the island (and in the Maritimes) flock to the store and stock up on chips (okay, they do get other things but they get the chips first I bet). It is the Canadian version of BMTP in the states (that's bread, milk, and TP). We were actually out of storm chips two storms ago but we were smart when we were away and swung by the grocery store and picked up our supply of storm chips while we were out. We still have some left over from this weekend and we have a few extra bags that I picked up today. But alas, the store was all out of the good kind of french onion dip. I hope the dip in the fridge is still good because I wasn't going to buy the bad kind of french onion dip. I won't name names, but the good kind starts with an H. C'mon Sobeys, you need to keep the good kind in stock before storms!

If you think I'm kidding about people stocking up on chips, there was a news story during a recent storm that had shots of the chip aisle in Halifax (at least I think that's where it was). The shelves were EMPTY. The chips had been cleaned out. Gone. Like the bread aisle in the DC area before a storm.

And chips aren't just for storms either. People love to give out chips for Halloween. Last year was our first Halloween on the island and we ended up with one of those reusable shopping bags full of chips. I didn't have to buy chips for like 2 months because of all the single serving packs of chips the kids got. It was just very strange that people gave out chips instead of candy.

Now don't get me wrong - I actually love the fact that people give out chips for Halloween. We still have bags of Halloween candy sitting around, but all the Halloween chips have been gone for months. The chips are great for lunches - they are peanut-free (school rule) and don't take long to eat like some candy (taffy, lollipops). The hubby isn't a big fan of candy but he loves chips and enjoyed digging into the shopping bag of chips this year. It was a sad day when the last bag of chips went into a lunch box.

I decided to add to the storm chips craze this time around and buy a few bottles of wine. I bought a few because I'm just about out of wine and it was time to restock. I don't drink a whole lot of wine, but it is nice to have it in the house for when I want it. I think tonight I shall crack open one of the new bottles of red, curl up with a blanket and my knitting, and let the snow fall while I watch Gotham. I just hope the school board lets us know schools are closed tomorrow before I go to bed. I really don't want to have to get up at 6:15 to check their website if I don't have to.

And I was bad today. I had planned to work on the Kilynn story since I posted everything I had written over the weekend but I got sidetracked. I was busy surfing the web and then I went to a hair appointment so this is the only writing I've gotten done today. Maybe the hubby will take S to soccer tonight and I can drink some wine and write. I can hope, right? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment