Saturday 7 February 2015

Get Out of the House Day aka Saturday

Today was a get out of the house kind of day, especially after all the storms we've been having lately. I think everyone was feeling a little cabin fever. We actually started the get out of the house day Friday evening with a hockey game. J's team tied with the older AA team, so we were happy with that. He got some good compliments from his coaches, which made him feel good about the way he played. He's definitely improving his skills this year. It was nice to get back to the rink and see all the parents. We hadn't really seen anyone since getting back from the tournament last weekend because of the storms. It was a late night for the kids but it was fun.

Today started out with getting S out the door to her swimming lesson. She didn't want to go but I made her (yeah, I'm a mean mommy). She hadn't been to her lesson in 3 weeks - the pool canceled what would have been her second lesson and rescheduled it for the end of the session, she didn't want to go the next week because she was 'tired' (we had been up pretty late the night before), and last Saturday we were away for a hockey tournament. So she had forgotten how much fun she actually has when she goes.

We were almost late getting to the pool because of snow removal taking place on the bridge that connects our town to the main city. I think it was actually good we were running late because it didn't give her much time to stand there and cry before hand. She met up with another girl who was in swimming with her last session and they held hands while they walked over to the teacher, mainly because neither one of them could remember who their teacher was. S cried some but the swim instructors at the pool are awesome and they got her calmed down, into her life jacket, and into the pool. She had a great time flipping off the side of the pool and practicing swimming the length of the competition pool. When she got out of the water she had a big smile on her face, as I knew she would. She just needed to remember how much fun swimming actually it.

After we got home from swimming we took a short break then headed down into our little city for lunch. We went to one of our favourite restaurants because they have the best curry I've ever had. (To my friend I used to work with - this place blows away that Indian restaurant we used to go to near the old office). I ordered my usual Chicken Korma while the boys had Butter Chicken. IMO, you can't go wrong with any of the curries they offer. S, not being adventurous, got a tasty grilled cheese.

The owner of the restaurant lives just around the corner from us. One day I may have to break into her house and search for her recipes. We went to this restaurant shortly after we moved here and met the owner a few days later at a neighbourhood party. She brought the Korma sauce and everyone was asking her for the recipe but she wouldn't share it. Meanie. Ah well, it gives us an excuse to go downtown for lunch on Saturdays.

After lunch we strolled down the street to the new location of the hubby's favourite coffee shop. They just moved from what could be considered a side street to a prime location on the main street that runs through the historic part of downtown. I have a feeling the hubby is going to be spending a lot of money there since the new location is directly under his office. The new place is nice but it does lack the historic charm of the old location. And S was sad because there was a carved red fox that hung outside the old building that hasn't come to the new building since it wasn't actually owned by the coffee shop. We split some massive cookies (they were delicious) and the hubby had coffee and I had my usual chai latte.

We came home then, skipping our usual post-lunch trip to the comic book and used book stores because the sidewalks downtown are awful. We've gotten over 5 feet of snow on the island since January 24 and the snow removal crews are having a hard time keeping up. Hopefully tomorrow or next weekend we can get to the book stores downtown. J loves picking up new comics and S loves the book store. And being a reader myself, I find it very hard to say no to buying books.

Now the kids are outside playing with their friends and the hubby went out with them. This is the first time I've had total quiet in the house. I should be working on my story but it's been so long since I've looked at it that I probably won't get back to it until Monday when the kids will be in school. I checked the weather and they WILL be in school or the school board will answer to me.

I think I've hit a plateau in my story writing, kind of like people hit plateaus in dieting. I need to find something new in my story to get me over that hump and continue the story. I think I'll be able to find that on Monday when I will get a good long time without any distractions. Until then I will think about my story, attempt to get the hat I'm knitting done, and enjoy the quiet of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment