Thursday 12 February 2015

This was my Thursday

Ah, it's Thursday again. I had a very hard time getting up this morning. The snow plow woke me up at like 5:15. It had been flurrying when we went to bed last night and I guess there was enough snow to require a snow plow. Thanks! I was able to get back to sleep but that made getting up at 6:15 even harder. But I did manage to drag myself out of bed and get the kids ready for school. Once they were out the door I settled down on the sofa with my tea and the TV remote. Yup, I had already decided that it was going to be a lazy morning.

I located Les Mis on one of the movie channels and pulled out my knitting. I got the gauge information for my mystery shawl and had begun working on the swatch yesterday. I had planned to finish it last night but I was tired and tired me + lace = disaster. So, I set it aside until this morning. I finished it and it's now blocking. I can't wait until the first clue comes out on Feb 20 so I can get started. The yarn is a blend of merino wool and silk and it's lovely to work with.

After I was finished being lazy I did some errands around town and then met the hubby downtown for lunch. I somehow managed to score a parking meter down on the main strip. Someone must have just left when I got there. And there were 55 minutes left on the meter, so that was nice! With all the snow we've had lately parking was a disaster for quite a while, so getting a meter space that was fairly free of snow was like hitting the parking space lottery.

We went to a restaurant that specializes in cooking with local ingredients and supporting local farmers. We like going here for lunch because it's a place we don't get to go very often. S is a picky eater and they really don't have anything on the menu she would eat. Example - they had wild rabbit stew on the menu. I will admit, I was tempted to order it because I have never tried rabbit before. But it was a dinner entree and I was afraid it would be too much for lunch. Maybe I'll have to try to arrange for a babysitter so we can go for a dinner date.

I ended up having a grilled cheese sandwich. And this wasn't just any old grilled cheese made with plain white bread and American cheese slices. This was made with fresh baked multi-grain bread, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, cherry tomatoes, and a smoked pork product that they didn't call bacon but it tasted like bacon. It was delicious! The restaurant serves salads with their sandwiches instead of fries, which made lunch the perfect size. The hubby got potato and leek soup and then a PLT - panchetta, lettuce, and cheese. He said his was really good too.

I just have to add that as I was driving home from lunch I saw about 10 seals just chillaxing on the ice by the bridge that goes over the river/harbour. There's a section of the river that hasn't frozen this year and the seals had obviously popped up in that area and decided to take a break on the ice. I will admit I squealed like a little kid when I saw them because seals are cool and we don't see them there very often. It's sunny and warmer today than it has been (-7C instead of like -15C) so I guess they wanted to enjoy the nice weather too.

Now I'm back home, enjoying the quiet of the house before the kids get home from school. Thursdays are actually nice in the afternoons because we usually don't have anything on the schedule. We can just finish up any unfinished homework and then the kids can go play with friends until suppertime. I'm sure J will be asking to play video games and S will be asking to go play at her friend's house. So I may actually get some afternoon writing time. I should be able to get some writing done tomorrow because the potential snow storm has been downgraded to 2 cms of snow, so the kids will be going to school. Sunday is another story - they are saying blizzard. Joy! We'll see how that turns out. Welcome to February in Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment