Tuesday 24 February 2015

Kilynn, part 10

I tried to get some writing done today but life kept getting in the way. First the radiators weren't working (and it's frigid out there today!) so I had to deal with that. Thankfully they are fixed now and I know how to fix them if this should happen again.

And then I got working on planning not one, but two birthday parties. One is now unofficially scheduled - just have to go pay my deposit and it will official. The other one, well I'm waiting to hear back about it and now there's potential hockey games getting in the way. Maybe J will get the party he wants, maybe not.

With all this stuff going on I was a bit distracted while I was trying to write and because I was distracted, I'm not happy with what I wrote today. I will leave it sit for the rest of today and come back to it tomorrow and see if I can sort it out. But for today, you get a small section of what I wrote yesterday and am happy with.

Quick recap - Kilynn just finished talking with her father. He confirmed that she's the heir to the island's throne and that while he's not happy about it, he believes that Kilynn can rescue her mother.

Part 10:

Kilynn was not surprised to find Herry and Ryl waiting for her just down the hallway from the kitchen door. She didn't have a chance to speak before Ryl grabbed her arm and pulled her into his room, Herry right behind her. Herry closed the door then leaned on it to stop anyone from coming in.

“Well?” Ryl asked as Kilynn settled herself on Ryl’s bed. “What did Father want to talk to you about?”

“As if you don’t know already,” Kilynn responded. “I know the two of you were listening at the kitchen door. And don’t try to pretend you weren't,” Kilynn added as Ryl and Herry both started to splutter in protest. She just stared at her brothers until they both smiled sheepishly at her.

“Okay, we were eavesdropping,” Herry confessed, Ryl nodding beside him. “How could we not? You’re our sister and it’s our job to protect you.”

“Plus, if we weren't eavesdropping, we would have never learned that you…are…a…princess,” Ryl said, gasping as he doubled over laughing. Herry was trying hard not to laugh but was failing miserably. Kilynn glared at her brothers for a minute before grabbing a pillow from the bed and throwing it at Ryl. He caught the pillow and threw it back at her, hitting her in the face.

“Oh, I’m so sorry, Your Highness! Please forgive me!” Ryl bowed low then tumbled over, landing in a heap at Kilynn’s feet. He grinned up at her and winked. Kilynn couldn't hold her laughter back any longer. She was grateful to her brothers for making her laugh. Their lives had been turned upside down by the crazy events of the night before, but laughing with her brothers was something normal, something every day, something that reminded her she wasn't along.

As the laughter finally died down, Herry came over and flopped down on the bed next to her while Ryl grabbed the pillow back from Kilynn and made himself comfortable on the floor. The triplets enjoyed a comfortable silence for a bit, listening to the distant sounds of customers in the store downstairs. Finally, Herry sighed, drawing his siblings’ attention.

“Okay, Kilee, Ryl and I both heard Father. Apparently you’re the heir to the throne of this island that our ancestors are from. And it seems that whoever is ruling it now wants to get rid of you as well as the rest of our bloodline. Do you really think it’s a good idea to travel into the lion’s den, so to speak? Do you really think you can rescue Mother?” Herry asked, sounding more serious than he ever had. “From what it sounds like, no one has ever come back from this mysterious island.”

Kilynn looked at her brother and nodded. “I know it sounds crazy, Herry, but I believe I can. I can hear Mother’s voice in my head, telling me I can do this, that she needs me to do this. And I have this feeling here,” Kilynn put her hand on her heart. “Here, that tells me that I will succeed but only with your help,” she finished, reaching her hands out to both of her brothers. “And I need you to believe that too.”

Ryl squeezed Kilynn’s hand. “I believe it, Kilee. I have been hearing Mother’s voice in my head since I woke up this morning. I thought it was just my imagination, but now, I believe it is her voice. She keeps telling me that I have to help you. And I will, baby sister. I will do whatever I can to rescue Mother.”

At this, Herry squeezed her other hand. “I hear her too, Kilee. And I believe we can save her. Where do we start?”

Kilynn smiled at her brothers. She knew they wouldn't let her down. She just hoped she was up for this challenge. She would do her best not to let her brothers know how terribly frightened she was of waited for her on the island. She closed her eyes for a second and listened to the voice in her head. She heard her mother’s voice whispering how brave Kilynn was. A warmth filled Kilynn as she felt, more than saw, her mother smile at her. She opened her eyes and took a deep breath.


“We start with Grandmother. She sent Father a message, asking us to meet her at the pond at midday. Hopefully she will have some answers for us. And if we’re lucky, she will have some lunch for us. If we have to keep eating Herry’s cooking, we’re going to starve before we even make it out of town,” Kilynn teased her brother. He stuck his tongue out at Kilynn while Ryl grinned at them. “Until then, let’s help downstairs. Maybe that will help keep our minds from worrying about Mother.”

No comments:

Post a Comment