Wednesday 11 March 2015

A Fairly Calm Wednesday

Whenever I open up my blog, I get to see how many page views I have. Normally it's about the same amount, so for those people out there who are reading everyday - thank you! But then every now and then the number is totally wacky. According to my stats, yesterday's page views were like nine times what they normally are. I have no clue what triggered that, but I'm thrilled that so many people at least took a look at my blog. I hope they enjoyed what they saw!

Today was a fairly regular Wednesday. J was still feeling icky this morning so I let him stay home. He was able to eat some toast and chicken soup without any problems and by suppertime his appetite, while not back to normal, was at least starting to return. While S was at her girl scout meeting tonight, J and I went to the grocery store and scoped out cakes and goodies for his birthday party this weekend.

J is not a big fan of butter cream frosting. A few years ago he ate a cupcake for his sister's birthday with a lot of butter cream frosting on it and then later threw it all up. We thought it was just a fluke so he ate another cupcake, again with butter cream on it and again he threw it up. Every since then he's not been a fan of cake unless it has whipped cream icing. Last year for his birthday I made him an apple pie. This year for his party he's requested chocolate eclairs - this boy has good taste! I just hope the other kids...ah, who am I kidding? Who doesn't like chocolate eclairs?

We also went to the store and picked out a bunch of little things for goody bags. He tried to talk me into buying him a toy but I said no because he's going to have a party on Saturday and I'm sure he'll get presents there. I've been suggesting books to parents when they ask. Turning 10 is a hard age - they are starting to grow out of toys but not quite. I'm sure J will enjoy the toys he gets but I know he will love any books he gets - he is his parents' child after all (all love to read). And the parents have seemed to like the idea of giving books as presents.

In the on-going saga of the watery garage, today turned out much better than I expected. It did warm up above freezing today - it was 41F/4C. There was a lot of melting going on outside but only a small amount of water came in. On a whim I threw a car washing sponge down in front of the door and it did a fairly good job of absorbing a lot of the water coming in. I just have to go down every now and then and squeeze out the sponge (which is freezing cold!) into a bucket. Much easier than vacuuming up the water and dumping it out. I'm sure this method won't work with extreme melting but on a day like today, it worked. Tomorrow is suppose to be cold again, and knowing the wacky laws-of-nature-defying snow outside the door, it will probably be melting like crazy.

Well, I made it through another day of being a single parent. It's actually been going pretty smoothly this week, all things considered. At least I don't have a raging sinus infection or the flu. I can deal with sick kids alone much easier than being a sick single parent. C flies home tomorrow although he won't get home until very late, so it might as well be Friday. I'll still be on my own tomorrow. But since he's coming home I better clean all my stuff off his side of the bathroom sink. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment