Thursday 19 March 2015

Snow-free Thursday!

Okay, so there were a few flurries this morning, and the roads were a mess, but yesterday's snow storm is over and gone!

Today was J's last day of hockey camp. He needed to be there by 7:45 so C set the alarm for 6:15 to give us time to get up, get ready and get him over there on time. At 6:25 we got an email saying camp would be delayed until 12:30. J wasn't awake at the time and I thought it would be silly to wake him up early just to tell him he could sleep late. It was around 7:15 when I heard him get up and I thought about getting up and telling him, but the room was chilly and it was warm under the covers.

The next thing I heard was him getting stuff out of the dryer then I heard him heading down to the garage. A short time later he came back up and I heard him in the kitchen. At that point I heard S get up and the two of them were talking about whether they should wake us up or not. We heard them coming, so C and I were very still and quiet. They opened the door, came in, and then went out without saying anything, closing the door behind them. At that point I couldn't keep from laughing.

I got up and asked J what was going on. He pointed out the time (7:43) and said he was going to be late for camp. I told him that camp was delayed and he was relieved. He had such a good time on Tuesday and Wednesday that he got himself up and ready without any help from us. He then went on to fix his little sister a bowl of cereal and had a bowl himself.

C wanted to try to get into the office this morning so we all climbed into my car (his isn't that good in the snow) and we started to drive down our street. We made it to the stop sign and decided nope. The snow was too deep on the road that goes in/out of our community. I had seen another guy try to get out in a sedan type car and give up but I thought maybe my SUV could handle it. It may have been able to, but I wasn't ready to risk it. We turned around and went home and he worked from home for the morning.

Just a bit later I saw a minivan stuck at the stop sign and my friend's husband walking up the street carrying a shovel. I knew it was one of our neighbours stuck in the snow. C walked up the street with a shovel and helped dig them out. He got his good neighbour sticker for the day. Around noon we ventured out and managed to make it through the snow to the main street. The snow in our community had melted a bit and also been packed down a bit so we were able to get out.  So J was able to get to hockey and C was able to get to work. Once we were out on the main roads things were much clearer.

It was very much a hockey day today. In addition to camp, J had a birthday party to go to today that involved playing an hour long game. Thankfully camp and the party were at the same place so we didn't have to drive all over. He had a good time playing and hanging out with his friends. He ate a lot of pizza today - the camp served the kids pizza and then he had pizza at the party.

Now both kids are tucked in bed and we can relax for a bit. It was nice to have a day without snow falling from the sky. Tomorrow is also suppose to be a nice day and most of the roads are pretty clear, so going out tomorrow shouldn't be a chore. J has more hockey tomorrow - yeah, March Break has become Hockey Week. The playoffs start tomorrow. The kids have one game tomorrow and are suppose to have 2 games Saturday. Of course they are calling for around 25 cm of snow Saturday or possibly 25 mm of rain, or a mix of both. But that isn't until Saturday. Tomorrow is Friday and the weather should be nice, my new clue for my Snow Queen shawl gets released, and hopefully Canada Post will actually be able to deliver the mail. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment