Wednesday 25 March 2015

Happy Birthday!

Today is J's 10th birthday. I can't believe my baby, my first-born, has reached double digits. It's amazing to look at pictures of him from when he was born and look at him now and see how he's grown. He's become a wonderful young man, and I hope that continues as he grows older.

He got to stay home for his birthday. Yes, there wasn't any school today. The buses still can't fit down some of the roads. So the school board took today and planned out how they were going to get the kids to school tomorrow because YES! they will have school tomorrow. Excuse me while I do my happy dance. I will have to drive them to school (that's okay with me) and pick them up (again, I'm fine with that) because they will be in school!

I did get a chance to get out without the kids today so I could get J's birthday presents. He got the MineCraft books he's been begging for, a Halo MegaBloks figure set (no huge Harrier type jet to put together), and a new hockey gear back. He wanted a tower bag as opposed to a duffle bag style, so we got him one. His Grandma and Grandpa sent him a crystal growing set, a flip puzzle thing, a shirt, and a sweatshirt. His Nana and PopPop as well as his aunt sent him cash. He's got quite the stash of money these days. S has even more because she's hasn't spent as much as he has. S's goal is to buy herself an iPod. She'll be able to get one soon. Or possibly a tablet, like a Kindle Fire.

I made J his favourite supper tonight - tacos and then for his birthday treat he asked for donuts in place of cake. I'm not one to complain about donuts, so I agreed. I tried one place but they were out of Boston Creme donuts (how? how can that happen?) so went to the competitor's place and was able to get them without a problem. The donuts were tasty!

It was once again a beautiful day here on the island. When I was out running errands today, I didn't even bother with a coat, just my sweater and scarf. It was 0C (32F) and it felt nice! Back in Virginia, I would have been running around in a heavy coat with my hat and mitts, but here in Canada 0C feels warm these days. There was lots of melting going on which is good, and only a little water came into the garage. As long as the thawing goes slow, we shouldn't have a flood in the garage. Of course tomorrow into Friday there is suppose to be snow flurries and rain. As long as it's just flurries, that's okay. I can handle flurries.

I can tell that spring is really on the way. The house has been getting downright hot during the day with all the sunlight coming in the windows, even with the curtains. We had to crack a window in the kitchen because it was close to 75F in the house! And I saw a fly today. I haven't seen one in a long time. The ice in the harbour looks like it's starting to crack and I've noticed the section of the harbour where the current is the strongest has melted. And when I was out walking earlier today I saw some grass peeking out from the edge of the 10 foot high snow banks. We're taking baby steps towards spring but we will get there soon. Let's hope we keep going forward and don't fall back!

No comments:

Post a Comment