Wednesday 4 March 2015

Snow, melting, and the dentist

Surprise, surprise! We woke up to snow and ice pellets (sleet for you southern people). Guess what? The kids had school! Most of the icky weather cleared out by noon and then the sun came out so it was good that there was school. It actually warmed up to above freezing, which around here means you might need to break out the shorts. Okay, maybe not but it definitely feels good to have warmer weather. Too bad the warmth isn't sticking around. Tomorrow the temperature is going to be cold (aka below freezing). The weather people said spring is going to be late this year up here. Apparently we won't see any signs of spring until late April. Yay?

Of course, with the warm-up, the bajillion feet of snow (okay, slight exaggeration) started to melt and that snow melt started sneaking into the garage. Thankfully it was slow enough that I was able to keep on top of it and keep the garage from flooding. We have a drainage pit in our garage that catches the water but it doesn't drain anywhere. The water runs in there which is nice but then it needs to be vacuumed up. When the thaw finally goes arrive I plan on getting a pair of waterproof insultated fisherman's gloves because that water is going to be freezing cold. I have enough problems with cold fingers and toes as it is, I don't need to add to it with snow melt!

As I said, the kids had school today although only one kid actually made it to school. S came home Monday with a nasty cough. She was coughing some yesterday and we encouraged her to rest in hopes she could shake that cough. That was not meant to be. She was up twice last night because of her coughing with the second time involving a fever. I got some ibuprofen into her and got her back into bed. When she woke up this morning she had added a runny/stuffy nose to the cough. At least the fever seems to stay at bay for most of the day. So...she stayed home. We did manage to get her to rest and drink a lot of water today but that cough is still hanging on. I suspect that she may stay home tomorrow, which would be fine with me.

Why is that, you ask? Because tomorrow I have a dentist appointment - a two hour long (or possibly longer) dentist appointment. It is my first time going to this dentist so they have lots of things to do - pictures, x-rays, an assessment of my gums, teeth, facial muscles, etc. Sounds like fun, eh? All that and they won't actually be doing a cleaning at this appointment. That gets scheduled later. I hate going to the dentist. I was trying today to figure out why I hate it and it's because I've never had good appointments.

I think it started when I was young and the orthodontist put me in braces for FOUR years. Yeah, you read that right. FOUR YEARS. And that included one of those oh so attractive headgear things as well as retainers when I was finally done. Then as I got older there were three nasty root canals on two teeth - yeah, one tooth needed to have a second root canal. And then I ended up with major stomach problems from the antibiotic the oral surgeon gave me to help with second root canal on the same tooth. It took years to get my stomach back to normal.

I've had a strange deep cleaning where they pulled the gums back from the teeth slightly to clean below the gum line. Doesn't that sound fun? At least I was numbed up for that. And then there were the cavities the dentist said I had. I still question whether I actually had them or not. One thing I've had very few of is cavities at least until I started going to a dentist in Virginia. Then it was suddenly I had a bunch of cavities. It made me suspicious. And the more I went to this dentist, the more resistant I became to the Novocaine. The last time I went to have a cavity filled they had to give me 3 shots of Novocaine before I was finally numb. My mouth hurt so bad after that - not from the cavity being filled but the stupid shots.

So, if S is still sick tomorrow and needs to stay home, I'll have to reschedule my dentist appointment. And honestly, I won't mind rescheduling. I don't really want to go but I'm trying to set a good example for my kids. They have both been recently and they had very easy appointments. I doubt mine will be as easy as theirs, considering their appointments lasted 45 minutes at the most and that included a cleaning. But I will be good and go if I'm able. And if I can't I will be good and reschedule it for another day when hopefully both kids will be healthy. With things have been going, that may be a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment