Sunday 29 March 2015

A Sunny Sunday

Today was a nice, relaxing, sunny Sunday. We took it easy this morning - S watched some TV, I worked on finishing up my clue for the Snow Queen Shawl, and C and J played a game. When we got tired of being lazy, we headed downtown for lunch. I enjoyed some tasty, spicy halibut tacos and a half-pint of blueberry ale. I was worried about the beer making me sleepy, but after lunch we went to a local park and strolled along the ice-covered boardwalk by the harbour.

The harbour is still mostly frozen - there are a few areas where the ice has melted and there are definite cracks in the ice. I have a feeling a few more weeks of warm weather and the ice will be broken up and floating out to sea. The sun was warm and the walk was pleasant. The kids wanted to go to the playground but considering the entire playground was buried under about 3 feet of snow, we said no. Again, with the way things are melting, in a few weeks it should be a big, muddy mess of fun. I'll make sure the kids are in very old clothes before we go down there post-meltdown.

After our walk, we headed home. S decided to get out some of the presents she received yesterday at her party. She started with one of those melty bead kits where you put these little plastic tubes on pegs to make a picture. Then you cover the beads and iron them so they melt together and make a solid object. She's about 2/3 of the way done with a Hello Kitty picture. It's definitely a time consuming activity. After that she took a break for a while and watched J and his friend L play video games until they started being mean to her (yeah, they got in trouble for that).

Since the boys weren't being very nice, she asked if I could teach her how to use her Rainbow Loom. For those not familiar with the Rainbow Loom, it is a matrix of plastic pegs that you stretch rubber bands over then loop them in such a way it makes a chain. Connect the ends and you have yourself a little bracelet. She made one that is purple and black and began one that is pink, blue, and white for the classmate that gave her the loom.

Once she was done with the loom, it was time to start decorating the pony she received from our neighbour. It's a stuffed animal that you can colour on then wash it off and start again. It's soft and squishy and she had a fantastic time decorating it. She gave it a flaming mask, horseshoes, and lots of flowers. She received a lot of crafty type presents this year. In addition to the things I've already listed she got a friendship bracelet kit, a paper doll fairy kit, and a 3D kit that you build into a stage with ballerinas. And for her birthday from her grandma she got a potholder loom. She is her mother's daughter when it comes to crafts. :-)

And speaking of crafts, I finished this week's clue for the Snow Queen shawl. I'm getting very excited about it because this coming Friday's clue will be the last clue and it will tell me how to finish the shawl. I can't wait to see it all stretched out. This is one wedge of it, since it's too big to photograph it all at the moment.


I love how it transitions from the blue tones to the gray. The final skein of yarn will be mostly gray with just a tiny hint of blue. I really like how it is coming out.

I haven't taken a picture of the Solar Flare shawl I'm working on. The first two clues are out already and clue 3 comes out tomorrow. I'm a bit behind since I'm still working on clue 1, which covers skeins 1 and 2 out of 6; clue 2 uses skein 3. I'm guessing that tomorrow's clue will cover skein 4. I better get working fast this week if I'm going to get finished by April 22. The designer is going to have people vote for their favourites and the one with the most votes will win first prize, second most gets 2nd prize, etc. I think she's giving out 3 or 4 prizes but you have to have your shawl done by April 22. I should be able to get caught up this week since the kids will have 4 full days of school this week - Friday is a scheduled holiday for Easter. Yikes! Easter is coming up and I don't have anything ready for it. I guess I know what else I'll be doing this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment