Wednesday 18 March 2015

Wednesday is for Shepherd's Pie

From where I'm sitting right now I can see it is snowing sideways. Yeah, it's a bit windy out there. At least they never kicked our warning up to a blizzard warning. I expect there will be a blowing snow warning tomorrow if there isn't one already. I haven't checked the forecast lately because it makes me sad.

At least J was able to have most of his hockey camp today. From what he said, he had a good time while he was there. They played a game where the players were chucking gloves at the kids and if you got hit you were out. J got hit by the goalie and went flying across the ice (I'm thinking he embellished it). What was cool is that the goalie has already been drafted and one day will play in the NHL. There's a story to share with his kids one day. They had to cut the camp short today because of the weather. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and he can finish up his camp tomorrow.

We're also hoping the weather will cooperate so that J's teammate can finally have his birthday party. It was suppose to be Monday afternoon and then got moved to today but had to be moved again. They are hoping the third time's the charm with it scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Of course we haven't had a chance to get out and get a present so he may just be getting cash.

I probably could have gotten time to write today but I decided to use that time to work on the Hobbit scarf. I had to frog what I had done because I had messed it up. I'm actually glad I restarted it because it looks much better this time around. I have a better understanding of how to do the double knit stitch and using my yarn stranding guide has made my stitches much more even. I have 12 rows done, which considering I'm working on size 1 needles with lace weight yarn, that's pretty good. For the non-knitters, that means I'm working on tiny needles with very thin yarn. I'll try to get some more done tomorrow and take a picture of my progress.

Because we didn't have the birthday party to go to tonight, I was able to make the new shepherd's pie recipe. It was tasty but I have to say, I preferred the simpler shepherd's pie recipe that I've been making. The older recipe has more flavour and was definitely less labour intensive. I don't think I've shared this recipe, so I'll do it here.

Shepherd's Pie:
1 lb of ground beef
1 can of consomme
1 can of mixed vegetables, undrained
3 Tbsp flour
mashed potatoes - you can either make these yourself or by ready made mashed potatoes
shredded cheese

1. Brown the ground beef and drain fat.
2. Add 3 tbsp flour, consomme, and undrained vegetables.
3. Simmer on medium, stirring frequently, until almost all the liquid is gone.
4. Place in oven safe dish and top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.

Place in hot oven until cheese melts. If you dish is broiler safe, use the broiler otherwise just run the oven up to 450F and pop the dish in for a few minutes.

It's that simple and it is very tasty. Even S, who is a very picky eater, and usually be persuaded to eat a few bites. It's a good comfort meal on a cold, snowy night.

No comments:

Post a Comment